A memorial service will be held Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 2:00 pm in Silsbee, TX at the Jehovah Witness Kingdom Hall. Prior to the memorial service there will be a gathering of family and friends beginning at 12:00 p.m.Mrs. Blanton was born February 20, 1942 in Highland Park, MI to the late Raymond and Della (Jones) Bradley. She graduated from Arthur Hill High School in Saginaw, MI and in 1963 married the love of her life, Ronald Blanton in Dallas. Gina was a airline hostess for Braniff Airlines, was a devoted Jehovah Witness and was a kind and generous person who loved people.She is preceded in death by her parents and is survived by her husband of 53 years, Ronald Blanton of Silsbee; daughter, Deborah Sanford and husband, Jamie of Silsbee and granddaughter, Brittany Mendoza of Lumberton. She is also survived by her sisters, Shirley Short and husband, Robert of Honor, MI, Patricia Warren of Mesick, MI and Elana Roy and husband, David of Lantana, FL and brother, Tom Bradley of Midland, MI. Virginia “Gina” Blanton, 74, of Silsbee passed away Monday, July 4, 2016 in Beaumont after a courageous fight with Breast Cancer. Next Up
A spate of executions in Iraq has raised new fears about the conduct of justice in the strife-torn country. The country’s justice ministry has announced nearly 100 hangings so far in 2012, including 26 in two days in August alone.According to campaigners Human Rights Watch, all the executed were convicted on charged ‘related to terrorism’ but few details about their identities or the charges were released.Joe Stork, deputy Middle East director at Human Rights Watch said: ‘The lack of transparency around these convictions and executions, in a country where confessions that may have been coerced are often the only evidence against a person, makes it crucial for Iraq to declare an immediate moratorium on all executions.’Iraq is fourth only to China, Iran and Saudi Arabia in the number of people it executes each year. However a de-facto moratorium already exists in the semi-autonomous Kurdish region, where the president, Massoud Barzani, has declined to sign death warrants since agreeing a separate jurisdiction, the region’s chief justice, Ahmad Zuber, told the Gazette.European experts advising the Baghdad government on the rule of law in Iraq say they cannot intervene directly in questions of capital punishment. ‘Of course we convey the European message but we are not a political mission,’ Laszlo Huszar, head of the European Union Integrated Rule of Law Mission for Iraq, told the Gazette.
Sharing is caring! Share 176 Views 5 comments Share EducationLocalNewsPrimary Emotional send-off for outgoing Warner Primary principal by: – November 22, 2013 Share Tweet Chief Education Officer, Melena Fontaine (left) presenting a placque to Mrs LavilleIt was an emotional send-off for outgoing principal of the Warner Primary School, Corina Laville on Friday, November 22.The current principal, Verna De Jean Frederick, teachers, students and members of the parent teachers association were in tears during a special appreciation ceremony for Mrs Laville on the Warner playing field.Mrs Laville, who started her teaching career in November 1973 and headed the Warner Primary School from September 2003, retired this week. Education officials including chief education officer, Melena Fontaine, assistant chief education officer Dr Jeffrey Blaize, district education officer for the east Ernie Lawrence Jno Finn, Opposition senator Ronnie Isidore, Parish Priest Fr Franklyn Cuffy and Mrs Laville’s mother and son.“Mrs Laville has committed herself to actively raising the standard of performance, excellence, quality of school life, professionalism and general deportment of the students and teachers of the Warner Primary School,” one of the teachers, Vernell Durand said.Durand stated that Mrs Laville is the reason why “we are one of the top performing schools and I would like to say to you Mrs Laville, we intend to keep it so”.According to data from the Ministry of Education, in 2012, 100% of the students of the Warner Primary School were reading and doing mathematics at grade level. Additionally, the school was earlier recognized by the Ministry as one of the most improved schools and top performing schools on the island. This year, the School obtained one scholarship and a bursary at the Grade Six National Assessment.“Over the years, Mrs Laville you have proved yourself to be a really distinguished member of the education fraternity,” chief education officer Melena Fontaine said.She also noted that Mrs Laville has showed herself to embrace innovation and creativity and complimented her for being one of the first principals to embrace and formally launch the child friendly initiative at her school.“Mrs Laville, in your quiet way, you did what you had to do and I think if all of us move like that then a lot will get done. It is not the talking, it’s doing what needs to be done and this is how I’ve seen Mrs Laville,” Mrs Fontaine indicated. Meanwhile, Josette Matthew the former principal of the Massacre Primary School and one of Mrs Laville’s former colleagues and close friends, described her as “a prudent lady with a gentle heart and a peaceful, humble spirit.Mrs Laville, she said, actually teaches love, wisdom and tolerance by her example. Further, she noted that Mrs Laville loves people, especially children and her desire to always have every child perform exceptionally must be noted. “You have worked hard, you have worked well and I know you are going to work more…and now my dear, enjoy retirement, just enjoy it. There is a whole lot more in store for you and a lot more for you to look forward to”. She was presented with tokens of appreciation including a special t-shirt, plaques, a bouquet and a gift basket from Parish Priest Fr Franklyn Cuffy, Ministry of Education, Warner Primary School teachers, the Warner Primary PTA and her sons.[nggallery id = 408]Dominica Vibes News
By Andrew DownieFormer Brazil striker Adriano has been charged in connection with drug trafficking by a public prosecutor in Rio de Janeiro, court officials said.Prosecutors allege that the 32-year-old former Inter Milan, Flamengo and Corinthians player bought a motorbike for a Rio drug trafficker to use in criminal activities in 2008.He is accused of aiding and abetting the trafficker whom prosecutors say was a childhood friend of his in Vila Cruzeiro, one of Rio’s most violent favelas.“The accused, freely and consciously, in collaborating in the trafficking of drugs, associated with active traffickers in the Vila Cruzeiro (favela) with the intention of facilitating the illicit trafficking of drugs and related activities,” the statement read.Adriano’s spokesperson told Reuters judicial officials have not formally presented the player – whose full name isAdriano Leite Ribeiro – with the charges and he has no knowledge of them.Adriano is in Le Havre negotiating a return to football with the French second division club and will only face trial if a judge decides there is merit to the accusations.The troubled striker won the Copa America and the Confederations Cup with Brazil and two Serie A scudettos with Inter Milan but has spent years battling drink and weight problems.He has been out the game since attempting a brief comeback with Atletico Paranaense earlier this year.