Home Uncategorised Mountrath CS student becomes first ever Laois winner for top Leaving Cert… Uncategorised A former Mountrath CS student received formal recognition of her outstanding Leaving Cert Applied results at the weekend.Margaret, or Maggie, Houlihan received a Feargal Quinn Award for top results in the Leaving Cert Applied 2018.Maggie was presented with her award by Minister of State for the Office of Public Works Kevin Moran in Athlone last Saturday, November 24.Maggie is now studying Applied Social Studies (Social Care) at Carlow Institute of Further Education.The LCANA “Feargal Quinn Awards” are presented each year to students who obtain the top credits in the Leaving Certificate Applied Examination of that year.The top performing students are notified by the State Examinations Commission.The student’s final credit total is of course based on their performance in the Leaving Certificate Applied Examination over the two years.The awards are financed by sponsorship from Fergal Quinn.The awards are named after Senator Feargal Quinn who was the first Chairman of the steering committee for the then new Leaving Certificate Applied.Mr Quinn oversaw the rolling out of the Leaving Certificate Applied Programme, the embedding of it in the Irish Education system, and its continuing development in the following years.SEE ALSO – In Pictures: Magical atmosphere at Portlaoise Christmas fair as the lights go on Previous articleCouncillor asks for continued support for new development committee in BallinakillNext articleThirteen year old girl hospitalised after alleged attack Siun Lennonhttp://heresosiun.blogspot.ie/2016/09/the-lekkie-piccie-experience.htmlSiún Lennon joined LaoisToday in a full-time capacity after studying Journalism and New Media in the University of Limerick. She hails from Rosenallis and her interests vary from news, sports and politics. This is a test post set for 3pm RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By Siun Lennon – 30th November 2018 Facebook Pinterest Pinterest Twitter Uncategorised Facebook TAGSLeaving Cert AppliedMountrath CS WhatsApp Uncategorised Community Mountrath CS student becomes first ever Laois winner for top Leaving Cert Applied results Coronavirus: 5 further deaths and 461 new cases as 25% of adults have now received Covid-19 vaccine WhatsApp Twitter 2020 Remembered: Laois priest scoops top prize in Carlow GAA draw
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) says it is taking its preparations for Tropical Depression Tomas “very seriously,” despite the fact that the system has been weakening.At a press conference hosted by the ODPEM at its offices in New Kingston, today (November 3), Director of the Meteorological Service, Sylvia McGill, informed that over the last 12 hours, the system had been downgraded to a tropical depression.She said the system had slowed down to five miles per hour, with its highest winds at 35 miles per hour, triggering a downgrade of the Met Office’s warning from a Hurricane Watch to a Tropical Storm Watch.However, Director General of the ODPEM, Ronald Jackson said the agency is still putting in place all the necessary measures, given that the weather system is forecast to strengthen.“The system is still within our territorial water. We are still within the probability cone and as such we have to be prepared for any eventuality. So, for us we are planning for a worst-case scenario, in this case, impact from a hurricane category one, perhaps two, then we will work our way back in terms of the various scenarios,” he explained.He said the ODPEM is moving ahead with plans to establish the national Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), and that it would be collaborating with its various partner agencies to staff the centre as of tomorrow (November 4).Mr. Jackson said that all Parish Disaster Committees have been activated. However, he said the ODPEM, for the moment, would be concentrating most of its efforts on the eastern end of the island, where it is predicted Tomas will have the greatest impact.He informed that a budget has been set aside for each parish to take care of expenses associated with operating shelters for at least two days, adding that a list of shelters will be placed on its website as well as disseminated throughout the parishes.The Red Cross, which will be manning most of the shelters, says it has already been in contact with its regional and international partners with a view of receiving help if needed. It said some of its supplies were used up following the passage of Tropical Storm Nicole, and that these would be replenished with supplies which should arrive from Panama by Friday.Meanwhile, Mr. Jackson said the ODPEM has already pre-positioned supplies in preparation for the storm and that arrangements are also being made to airlift food into areas which might be cut off as a result of the passage of Tomas. He is advising Jamaicans to ensure they stock up on hurricane supplies and ensure that they store enough water for each family member and pets for at least seven days.The ODPEM head said the office has already started sending out public advisories through the media and that as of today it will start sending advisories by text messages. He said the ODPEM would also be making a spokesman available to provide consistent updates to the public on the situation.Mr. Jackson is also advising Jamaicans to evacuate if they live in flood-prone areas and not to attempt to cross flooded waterways. In addition, he advised fishers to return to land and secure their boats. RelatedODPEM on all systems for Tomas Advertisements RelatedODPEM on all systems for Tomas ODPEM on all systems for Tomas InformationNovember 3, 2010 RelatedArchives Critical to Jamaica’s History
Asia Tags dropped callsIndiaTrai Despite India’s telecoms regulator sending operators a letter reminding them to compensate customers for dropped calls, the Association of Unified Service Providers of India (AUSPI) said members won’t follow the new regulation until required to by the courts.The Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) said it supports AUSPI’s stance and agreed that operators won’t compensate customers until the court decides on the matter, Economic Times reported.The Delhi High court last month advised the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) not to take “any coercive action” against operators for dropped calls until the next hearing on 6 January.Operators have interpreted the directive as a “stay” on the regulator’s order, but TRAI insists it isn’t and that operators need to start compensating customers.Back in October, TRAI ordered mobile operators to pay customers INR1 ($0.015) for each dropped call. The regulation, which started on 1 January, limits compensation to a maximum of three calls per customer per day.India’s mobile operators complained to the Department of Telecom that the new penalty would cost the industry INR540 billion ($8.3 billion) a year and called on the minister to intervene.The dropped call problem has been made worse by the government shutting down towers that have been set up without valid permits. In New Delhi alone, about 300 mobile towers have been “sealed” by municipal agencies, which say there are more than 2,3000 illegal sites, the Times said. Related AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 04 JAN 2016 Joseph Waring joins Mobile World Live as the Asia editor for its new Asia channel. Before joining the GSMA, Joseph was group editor for Telecom Asia for more than ten years. In addition to writing features, news and blogs, he… Read more WhatsApp takes more heat in India HomeAsiaNews India’s operators ignore dropped call rule, wait for court order India to shun China vendors in 5G trials Previous ArticleEE CEO Swantee to step down once BT takeover completesNext ArticleSamsung warns on tough 2016 Joseph Waring Author India adds detail on network equipment restrictions
“Modern, reliable and accessible infrastructure is critical to economic development and quality of life,” LaVoy said. “Under the leadership of President Trump and Agriculture Secretary Perdue, USDA is committed to partnering with rural communities to help them improve their infrastructure, because when rural America thrives, all of America thrives.” The City of Belen will receive a $2,665,000 loan/grant funding package to build an arsenic water treatment facility. Currently, water from the city’s water well number eight exceeds federally-mandated drinking standards for arsenic. Because the geology of New Mexico includes volcanic formations along the Rio Grande basin the drinking water in some cases has higher levels of arsenic. Although the arsenic levels are very low the new water treatment facility will bring Belen’s water into compliance with drinking water standards. WASHINGTON, D.C. ― U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Deputy Under Secretary for Rural Development Donald “DJ” LaVoy announced that USDA is investing $201 million to improve rural water infrastructure in 31 states. The Doña Ana Mutual Domestic Water association will receive an $11,055,965 loan/grant funding package to install a new wastewater delivery system in the colonia of San Ysidro located north of Las Cruces, New Mexico. When completed the sewer collection service will connect to the City of Las Cruces wastewater collection system and treatment facility. The new delivery system will eliminate the environmental concern of groundwater contamination because the community is currently using cesspools and septic tanks. New Mexico Rural Development State Director Arthur A. Garcia added, “The projects in Belen and in the community of San Ysidro north of Las Cruces included in this announcement are an example of Rural Development’s goal to build thriving economies and improve the quality of life in rural areas.” Garcia added, “We are dedicated to the mission of building and modernizing critical infrastructure. This will insure those living in rural America are afforded a higher quality of life.” USDA is providing the funding through the Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant program. Eligible applicants include rural cities, towns and water districts. USDA Rural Development provides loans and grants to help expand economic opportunities and create jobs in rural areas. This assistance supports infrastructure improvements; business development; housing; community facilities such as schools, public safety and health care; and high-speed internet access in rural areas. For more information, visit www.rd.usda.gov. To view the report in its entirety, please view the Report to the President of the United States from the Task Force on Agriculture and Rural Prosperity (PDF, 5.4 MB). In addition, to view the categories of the recommendations, please view the Rural Prosperity infographic (PDF, 190 KB). USDA State Director Arthur A. Garcia USDA awarded nearly $1.8 billion for Water and Environmental Program loans and grants during fiscal year 2019. View the interactive RD Apply tool or contact one of USDA Rural Development’s state or field offices for application or eligibility information. USDA News: In April 2017, President Donald J. Trump established the Interagency Task Force on Agriculture and Rural Prosperity to identify legislative, regulatory and policy changes that could promote agriculture and prosperity in rural communities. In January 2018, Secretary Perdue presented the Task Force’s findings to President Trump. These findings included 31 recommendations to align the federal government with state, local and tribal governments to take advantage of opportunities that exist in rural America. Increasing investments in rural infrastructure is a key recommendation of the task force. USDA is announcing investments today in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming. The funds can be used for drinking water, stormwater drainage and waste disposal systems in rural communities with 10,000 or fewer residents.
CLA unveiled its first freighter – a B747-400 – in November 2015. The airline says that the arrival of its second B747 aircraft precedes the development of its network into North and South America later this year.The new British all-cargo airline received its UK air operator certificate (AOC) at the start of 2016 and commenced twice-weekly B747-400 ACMI (aircraft, crew, maintenance and insurance) services connecting the UK, Europe and Africa in February.CLA’s growth strategy is based on operating a fleet of five B747 freighters within its first five years of operations.The airline’s ceo, Dmitry Grishin, explained that the B747-8 freighter is capable of carrying “virtually any cargo” from temperature-sensitive goods to oversize aerospace and oil and gas related loads.”It is a highly efficient aircraft and offers us a 16 percent increase in payload over our 747-400, increasing our capacity on a single flight to 137 tonnes.”www.cargologicair.com
Ngata says the Utes will do well Related SALT LAKE — Fans expecting some offensive fireworks at Utah’s annual Red-White game Saturday might have gone home a little disappointed.In what was likely the lowest-scoring spring game ever, the Reds beat the Whites 7-0 in front of 12,000 or so fans at Rice-Eccles Stadium in 65-degree weather.The only score in the abbreviated game came on a 15-yard pass from freshman Tyler Shreve to Dexter Ransom late in the first half. The second half went by quickly with a running clock for two 10-minute quarters.The lack of scoring was due to a combination of a strong Ute defense and an offense that was not only missing its starting quarterback, but was also using three running backs that had never played Division I football before and had just seven offensive lineman to share between the two teams.Coach Kyle Whittingham felt his team moved the football well enough, but just couldn’t put it in the end zone.”I saw some good things,” Whittingham said. “We saw some guys flying around on defense, the running backs were encouraging, and I thought Harvey Langi ran the football well.”Langi, the freshman from Bingham High School, was the offensive star as he rushed for 63 yards on 12 carries, bulldozing his way through defenders for extra yards. John White led the White team with 36 yards on six carries, while Lucky Radley ran for 28 yards for the Reds and Thretton Palamo had just four yards on two carries for the Whites.”He played well today,” offensive coordinator Norm Chow said of Langi. “He was given more opportunities because the Red team had the ball a lot more, but I thought Harvey did a real nice job.”Ransom, a lanky senior receiver from Texas, was one of the offensive stars, leading all receivers with four catches for 57 yards, including the only touchdown of the game.”He had a drop or two but he did some good things, his best day as a Ute probably,” said Whittingham. “He’s got the big frame, he’s 6-foot 3, 220 pounds, he’s a big target and he will have a role this fall for us.Ransom, who didn’t join the team last year until late in fall camp, was Shreve’s favorite target, getting all four catches in the first half.Of the touchdown, he said, “It was a play where I had to read the two safeties. One of them stayed back a little bit and the middle of the field was wide open so I took it.”The Red team dominated the first half, keeping the ball for 36 plays compared to 15 for the White side.However, it only resulted in a 7-0 lead as one long drive was stopped by an interception by Joseph Smith on a tipped pass and the other on a missed 35-yard field goal by Nick Marsh.One of the top defensive players was defensive end David Rolf, a transfer from Michigan State who played in all 26 games in his two years in East Lansing. Rolf had a sack for nine yards, a tackle for a loss and two pass breakups.Also, Trevor Reilly had 2.5 sacks for the White team, and Terrell Reese had a 20-yard interception return for the Red team.For the game, Shreve finished with 9-of-20 passing for 122 yards, while Griff Robles was 11-for-23 for 74 yards. Jordan Wynn, the starter for the past season and a half, is expected to start throwing later this month and be ready for fall camp in August.Chow said the three running backs — Langi, White and Palamo — have yet to separate themselves, but he is hopeful they’ll be ready for the fall.”We made good progress, but are they ready for Pac-12 football? I don’t know,” Chow said. “We need a good fall camp, we need a good summer and I think they will be ready and we’ll have to make a decision.”Overall, Whittingham was happy with spring camp and Saturday’s game, despite the lack of scoring.”We feel good about our progress, but have a long ways to go,” said Whittingham. “This summer’s going to be critical to our development and what the players take it upon themselves to do.”email: [email protected] It’s clear Utes fans are psyched Utah Utes football notebook