Babcock also noted that he wanted to look out for the young defenseman, especially after he got hit in the head in Saturday’s game against the Red Wings.Babcock on Sandin: “I didn’t like it last game when he got hit in the head … a (19)-yr-old, I didn’t have much appreciation for that … but I also say to myself, ‘What am I doing?’ … you have to look after him the best way you can & sometimes you got to be a prudent parent” https://t.co/CABYmmjIUq— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) October 14, 2019At the AHL level with Toronto, Sandin has impressed; in 44 games in 2018-19, the 5-11, 187-pound defender registered 28 points and a plus/minus rating of minus-10. He also added 10 points in 13 playoff games for the Marlies.In his place, the Leafs have called up defenseman Kevin Gravel, who has played in three AHL games with Toronto, going without a point while recording a plus/minus rating of minus-1. With 109 NHL games under his belt, the 6-4, 212-pound blueliner has more NHL experience and can be a bottom-pairing or extra defenseman for the Leafs moving forward. As per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnson, Sandin will likely not return to the NHL this season, pending no significant injuries. “We can’t get him on the power play in front of the guys we got, can’t get on the penalty kill. So in the end, a real good night (is just) 14 minutes,” Babcock told reporters on Monday, as per TSN’s Kristen Shilton.THE LINEUP: Oilers vs. Flyers highlights Week 3, Stamkos and Co. closing in on milestonesWith Travis Dermott eventually coming back into play after undergoing shoulder surgery in May, the Leafs had to make changes with a crowded battle on the bottom pairing. And at the end of the day, ending down Sandin was likely the logical answer. The 19-year-old isn’t getting much playing time, and can benefit from more ice time and responsibility — as well as a bigger role — at the AHL level. Maple Leafs fans didn’t necessarily see this move coming; defenseman Rasmus Sandin, the Leafs’ 2018 first-rounder who made the team out of training camp after an impressive preseason, was loaned to the AHL-affiliate Marlies on Monday after a six-game trial.Sandin, who is likely to develop into a top-4 and lead the next wave on the Leafs’ blue line, racked up two assists in six games. While he wasn’t necessarily playing terribly — and showed that he could keep up at the NHL level — coach Mike Babcock had different thoughts.
SACRAMENTO – California’s secretary of state is considering decertifying an “essential” new part of Los Angeles County’s voting system because a vendor missed a deadline to provide key information about it. Decertification would be a blow to the Golden State’s largest county, leaving it struggling to comply with federal regulations for the state’s first February presidential primary. Secretary of State Debra Bowen said the action comes as her office reviews voting systems statewide, and the vendor repeatedly refused to provide the source code for software used in Los Angeles County’s InkaVote Plus system. Bowen spokeswoman Nicole Winger said decertification “is in the range of options,” but she also said Bowen is committed to ensuring that Los Angeles can conduct a proper election next year. “We will work with Los Angeles to make sure they have a system that can be used in elections,” Winger said. But county Registrar-Recorder Conny McCormack said the InkaVote Plus system, made by Omaha-based Election Systems & Software Inc., is essential to the county’s ability to conduct an election that meets federal requirements. The system was purchased for $25 million and installed last year, when it underwent a certification review by then-Secretary of State Bruce McPherson. “I just can’t imagine that there would be a Draconian penalty for not being reviewed this year, when it was thoroughly assessed and reviewed and certified last year,” McCormack said. InkaVote Plus, McCormack said, is needed to satisfy new federal requirements to reduce “overvotes” and “undervotes,” and to assist the disabled. An overvote is when a voter mistakenly casts a vote for too many candidates in a race. An undervote is when the ballot is not marked at all, or at least in a way the machine can read. The system will notify the voter if an undervote or overvote has been cast, allowing the person to redo the ballot. Avoiding problems The new requirements were written to avoid problems experienced by Florida voters in the 2000 presidential campaign. The system caught thousands of overvotes in the November 2006 election, including a publicized one cast by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, McCormack said. On Friday, a spokesman for Election Systems & Software said the company was surprised to hear that the InkaVote Plus system would not be included in Bowen’s statewide review. Company spokesman Ken Fields said ES&S did not provide the information requested immediately because the company had questions and concerns it wanted to discuss with Bowen’s office. “We were working pretty extensively to try to get clarification around some issues,” Fields said. “At some point, in an effort to make sure voters in Los Angeles County could utilize the system, we set aside those questions and went ahead and complied. “We have not been notified by the state that this will not be incorporated into the top-to-bottom review.” According to Bowen’s office, vendors throughout the state were informed March 26 about the pending review and told they had 30 days to provide the necessary software and equipment. The review involves hiring a team of computer experts to try to hack into the systems, exploit vulnerabilities and find any potential flaws or errors. Some vendors were given additional time, but it was not until June 26 – after repeated requests and an unusual effort to circumvent the company by obtaining the source code from a third-party escrow company – that ES&S complied, Bowen’s office said. By then, it was too late for the review, which is supposed to conclude in two weeks. Deputy Secretary of State Lowell Finley said there also are discrepancies between the software version number held by the escrow company, and the version that was certified by McPherson last year. If the software was updated since the certification process without notifying the state, that could be a potential violation of state Election Code, he said. Finley, in a recent letter to the company, said Bowen’s office still intends to review the InkaVote Plus system, but it is likely to be more expensive and difficult because it could involve reassembling the outside team conducting the current review. If the Secretary of State’s Office does not move to decertify the system, it could instead require Los Angeles County to take additional precautions when tallying votes next year – including using more manual recounting or installing new security measures. Agreement reached At the same time this dispute is brewing, the county and Bowen’s office recently reached an agreement that a separate element of the county’s system will not be subject to the top-to-bottom review. The county uses an aging Microcomputer Tally System in its central headquarters to count votes that have been cast at thousands of precincts. That system is due to be replaced next year by a GEMS II system made by Diebold. Bowen’s office and the Board of Supervisors recently signed an agreement that the equipment and software for MTS does not have to be submitted for the review. GEMS II has been submitted to the normal state certification process, which will now be as rigorous as the pending top-to-bottom review. If GEMS II is not certified or otherwise not ready in time for the Feb. 5 primary, Bowen has agreed that the county can continue to use MTS, even though it has not been subject to the top-to-bottom review. Staff Writer Troy Anderson contributed to this report. firstname.lastname@example.org (916) 446-6723160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!