AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMore AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMoreA mother duck and her ducklings visited the White House Wednesday, but the mom was the only one of the group big enough to jump the concrete barrier beneath the fence.Her young ducklings were stuck milling about on the sidewalk below until armed guards came to the rescue.Two uniformed Secret Service agents saw the separation and came to the ducklings’ aid, lifting each baby through the fence.Tourists gave the agents a big round of applause afterward.(WATCH the video from NBC via the Rachel Maddow Show)
Mary Ellen Konieczny, the Henkels Family associate professor of sociology, died Saturday at the age of 58 due to complications from cancer, the University announced in a press release Monday.Konieczny served as a faculty fellow of the Center for the Study of Religion and Society and the Kellogg Institute for International Studies. She was working on a book called “Service before Self: Organization, Cultural Conflict, and Religion at the U.S. Air Force Academy” and developing a research project in Rwanda on connections between post-genocide reconciliation and religion.“Mary Ellen Konieczny was a distinguished sociologist of religion in a department known as a national leader in that area,” Dean of the College of Arts and Letters John T. McGreevy said in the release. “Her scholarship on Catholic parishes helped us better understand tensions and strength in individual congregations just as her uncompleted work on religion in the military probed the overlap between religious and civic identity.”Konieczny graduated from Notre Dame in 1981 and earned a Master of Divinity from Weston Jesuit School of Theology before working in ministry for the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago and eventually pursuing a Ph.D. in sociology at the University of Chicago.“We will remember Mary Ellen for that scholarship, but perhaps even more for her high spirits and sense of joy, which undergirded her teaching and research and proved a constant source of inspiration to colleagues and students,” McGreevy said.Tags: College of Arts and Letters, kellogg institute for international studies, Mary Ellen Konieczny, Master of Divinity
Each month, we like to take the opportunity to thank the local business that make shawneemissionpost.com possible. Without the support of the businesses and organizations that see value in communicating with our audience of more than 40,000 unique visitors per month, we couldn’t bring you daily coverage of local government, schools and sports.So here’s a big thanks to all of the following businesses and organizations for their support of shawneemissionpost.com. (Next time you visit one of these establishments, let them know you appreciate their support of the site as well!)
Twenty SM East seniors got a surprise earlier this month when they were awoken by student council members informing them that they’d been selected as a candidates for this year’s Homecoming King and Queen.The candidates are:Queen CandidatesSarah AllegriAnna CalominoDaphany EdwardsHannah EldredBrooke EricksonJenna HouseholderChloe KerwinCassandra RoqueChloe StanfordKing CandidatesTyler ArmerBrock ArvesenKyle BakerMichael BamfordCharlie BurkheadLuke EhlyWilliam JaggersCharles JensenWilliam KostThe Queen will be crowned at halftime of the Lancers’ Homecoming game Friday, Oct. 2 against SM West. The game will kick off at 7 p.m. at SM North District StadiumThe King will be crowned the following night at the SM East Homecoming dance.Appreciate our coverage of SM East? Show your support for the Prairie Village Post by making a donation today (you’ll get some really cool gifts, too!) Visit Supportshawneemissionpost.com.
TRCP News:MISSOULA, Mont. —The Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP) has released a film exploring the importance of planning for migration corridor conservation in New Mexico and, more generally, across the West. The film, “Migration Corridors: Connecting the Wildlife and People of New Mexico”, features a New Mexican hunter and a hunting guide, officials from the U.S. Forest Service and New Mexico Game & Fish, and TRCP staff.The film showcases the insights offered by the most recent research into big game migration corridors, the importance of these routes to wildlife, and the impact of wildlife-dependent outdoor recreation on New Mexico’s economy.“We wanted to make a film that would highlight the importance of migration corridors and help explain why this has become a major priority for conservationists,” said John Cornell, southwest field manager for the TRCP. “Hunters have always known how important migration routes are for the animals we pursue each fall, and the most up-to-date science keeps making a stronger case for paying special attention to these habitats.”To survive the varied seasonal conditions found across the West, big game must be able to move freely across the landscape at key times of the year to access nutritious food. Emerging science and recent technologies can pinpoint well-defined corridors traveled by animals during these migrations and measure how much time they spend in certain places along the way known as stopover habitats.Research also shows that human development can disrupt the normal patterns of migrating ungulates.Subdivisions, fences, roads, and energy development all contribute to the loss of big-game habitat and impede the migrations of these animals between the seasonal habitats on which they rely.Like many other states across the West, New Mexico is in the first stages of mapping big game migration corridors with the most up-to-date GPS technology. This research will help guide policymakers as they make decisions about how to manage wildlife and human development.“We have a lot of historic and local expert knowledge of big game movements on the landscape: A lot of local biologists and game wardens know the animals move into or out of these areas seasonally. But we have not identified those specifically…it is more just anecdotal evidence,” said Orrin Duvuvuei, deer biologist/migration coordinator with New Mexico Game & Fish.The film also includes Dr. Karl Malcolm, southwestern regional wildlife ecologist for the U.S. Forest Service, who explained the coordinated effort that will be needed to manage for migration corridor conservation.“If we—as a community of conservationists, government, non-government, federal, state, members of the public, NGOs— if we are going to do our job, we need to effectively consider the fact that the summer range and the winter range…need to be linked. Herds need to go where they have always gone,” said Malcolm.In addition to Cornell, Duvuvuei, and Malcolm, the film also features hunting guide Art Martinez, local sportswoman and Backcountry Hunters & Anglers southwest chapter coordinator Katie DeLorenzo, New Mexico Game & Fish big game program manager Dr. Nicole Tatman, and TRCP chief scientist Dr. Ed Arnett.The film can be viewed at the TRCP’s website and on its Facebook page.
Following a state executive order in Connecticut issued earlier this week, Nel Hydrogen temporarily suspended manufacturing at its Wallingford plant. But the company has been defined as an essential manufacturing business and has been permitted to continue operations. Nel has therefore resumed operations at its Wallingford plant.The company said it still expects revenues and operations to be negatively impacted by disruptions in the value chain and extraordinary health measures taken in the various locations due to coronavirus. “The safety and well-being of our employees and co-citizens are our top priority and we have implemented strict measures to ensure continued and safe operations,” said Jon André Løkke, CEO of Nel.“Due to parts of our business relates to national security and critical societal functions, we have been defined as an essential manufacturing business and will resume operations at our plant in Wallingford.”
The Al-Waagah Islamic Institute for the deaf is celebrating its 21st anniversary this year.It was established in 1995, after its founding member, Sheikh Nusrah Qaasim, overheard a woman saying deaf people did not have a madrassa.According to Fadiyah Harris, the institute’s administrator, Sheikh Qaasim had then decided to find deaf people to teach.Together with a team of people, he started a madrassa and they taught the deaf, from age five to 85, at the St Athans Road mosque in Athlone.Most of them came from Athlone, Bridgetown, Mitchell’s Plain and surrounding areas.Over the years, the Sunday class grew from 10 to more than 100 people, and they paid a non-compulsory fee of R15.The institute caters for nikah (marriage), talaq (divorce) and reverts. There are Hajj and sign language classes, and it helps with grant applications and other social needs. Ironing and tailoring services cover some of its expenses. Ms Harris said funding was the biggest challenge and the institute relied solely on public donations and volunteer teachers.“The second challenge that we have is the need for qualified teachers who can teach Islamic education to the deaf,” she said.“Religion is a fundamental tool in life – you need to feel like you belong somewhere. No matter what religion, you need to belong somewhere, and that is why this organisation is important in the community. The deaf are so mesmerised by the things they learn at the madrassa; they are extremely excited about attending every Sunday.”This is one madrassa where you will see people reciting the Qur’an in sign language.“One of the highlights was when we were in a workshop and a hearing person was asked to recite the adhan (call for prayer). We couldn’t understand that because the deaf people couldn’t hear it, but we didn’t understand the method behind it. The vibrations of the adhan touched their hearts, the atmosphere was different,” she said.Ms Harris said the institute needed new premises and was always looking for volunteers.“Most of our volunteers are full-time working people, so we need as many volunteers as we can get. We need expertise on life-skills projects and assistance with our events. Many people still don’t know about us locally or nationally. We need sponsorship for advertising. We don’t just want people’s money; we want them to become involved with the organisation.”Call Ms Harris at 021 638 3368 for more information.
The Bar Council has warned that the sharp drop in the number of county court judgments (CCJs) against businesses is a sign those seeking money owed to them are being priced out of court by higher fees.Statistics released in early August from the Registry Trust showed that there were 42,091 county court judgments against businesses in England and Wales in the first six months of 2016, a 19% fall year on year.Chairman of the bar, Chantal-Aimée Doerries QC, said: ‘The courts risk becoming out of bounds for many as the full impact of increased court fees bites.’Small businesses seeking debt owed to them by customers, who are often other businesses they supply, can turn to CCJs as a last resort to get the money owed to them, but by increasing court fees the government has cut off those small businesses’ only real and last hope of getting that money, which is vital given how important cashflow is to SMEs.’They are being priced out of court.’In January 2015, when the plan to raise the fee for using the courts was first mooted, we warned that a court fee increase would hit small businesses. We take no pleasure in seeing that warning become a reality.’The Ministry of Justice increased court fees in 2015 for money claims, which include late payments, debt and compensation.This was a blanket 5% fee on small businesses and individuals bringing claims worth between £10,000 and £200,000, with fees of up to £10,000 payable up-front. The Bar Council pointed out that it represented increases of up to 660% (from £1,315 to £10,000) on the fee payable for a claim of £200,000.The Registry Trust figures show the total value of CCJs was £149m, a decrease of 12%. Earlier this month the trust admitted that increased fees have contributed to the decline in judgments.The drop in value and number of CCJs is the lowest since before the financial crisis of 2008. The number of High Court judgments fell by 50% compared with the first half of 2015 to 33.
SWEDEN: Östgötland transport authority ÖstgötaTrafiken has selected DB Regio Sverige to operate local services for 10 years from December 12 2010, with an option for a four-year extension. Five new Coradia Lirex X61 EMUs are due to enter service with the 2010 timetable change, permitting the operation of a 20 min interval frequency between Norrköping and Mjölby. Through trains will run beyond Mjölby to Jönköping at approximately hourly intervals. DB Regio will also take over responsibility for maintaining the trains at a new depot in Linköping. Services will increase from an initial 3·3 million train-km a year to 3·8 million during the contract period. ÖstgötaTrafiken CEO Paul Håkansson said the routes were some of the most punctual in the country, and thus expectations were high. DB Regio said it is the company’s first successful rail tender outside Germany, although it has been active in the UK since acquiring Chiltern Railways’ parent company Laing Rail in 2008. It also has a bus contract in Denmark. ‘We are very proud that our bid has been selected in a highly competitive environment’, said DB Passenger Transport Director Ulrich Homburg ‘Our role as a leading European transport company is reinforced.’
LocalNewsPolitics Dominicans pledge more funds to assist Linton by: Dominica Vibes News – February 15, 2016 Tweet 1059 Views 8 comments Share Sharing is caring! Share Share Opposition Leader, Lennox Linton (file photo)A second radio-thon to assist Opposition Leader Lennox Linton to pay costs associated with a defamation lawsuit has so far raised over thirty-five thousand dollars ($35, 000).Mr Linton was ordered on 29 January 2016 to pay twenty thousand pounds to Chartered Accountant Kieron Pinard-Byrne on account of his costs. A demand letter from Pinard-Byrne’s attorneys requested full payment from Mr Linton by 22 February 2016.This order arises out of a Privy Council matter which Mr Linton lost in October 2015. He was sued for comments accusing Mr Pinard-Byrne of criminality, dishonest and unprofessional conduct during a radio program in 2002.On Monday 15 February 2016, a radio-thon hosted by Mathias Peltier Jr. on Q95FM Radio raised “$35, 932.50”, according to a report by Parliamentary Representative for the Salisbury Constituency, Hector John.“On behalf of Mr Linton, I would like to thank each and every body who have made their pledges, who walked into the studio, and who are still on their way to make their pledges,” Mr John said on Q95.“We would like to get that money in as soon as possible so we can deal with this matter and move on as we continue to fight for and on behalf of the people of Dominica,” John added. He also thanked the donors who have assisted Mr Linton.“I would like to extend his sincere thanks to each and every one of you who have made that call and that call is for Dominica. We’re gonna continue the struggle, we’re gonna continue the fight,” John noted.In addition, Mr Linton has to pay Mr Pinard Byrne’s costs before the Judicial Committee and in the Court of Appeal of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (Commonwealth of Dominica). These two payments are to be assessed on the standard basis, if not agreed between both parties.Earlier this month, on 21 January 2016, Mr Linton paid damages of $50, 000.00, prescribed costs of $14, 000.00 and interest amounting to $15, 324.86, a total sum of $79, 324.86 from the High Court of Justice’s judgement in 2011. In January 2016, another radio-thon hosted to assist Mr Linton, raised over one hundred thousand dollars.“With the Privy Council award ordered to pay an amount of twenty thousand dollars on account of Mr Pinard Byrne’s costs at the Privy Council, that sum of twenty thousand dollars will be equivalent to somewhere in the region of seventy-eight thousand dollars. We already have thirty thousand dollars from the first round and so we’re looking this time to raise forty-eight thousand dollars and we’re looking forward to the support of the people in this regard,” Mr Linton said.Audio Playerhttps://www.dominicavibes.dm/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MJ150216FUNDS001.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.